Thursday, July 23, 2009

This just in, we are lucky

My 3 year old son told me, so it must be true.

Nate was eating cherries in the living room, and I was looking out the kitchen window at the mob of blue jays in our garden.

Nate (very excitedly):
Dad! Do cherries grow on trees?

Me:
Yes Nate, cherries grow on trees. You see those blue jays out there on that tree? That is a cherry tree.

Nate:
And cherries are going to grow on it, and then I can get cherries to eat?

Me:
Well, we need to do some work first because that tree hasn't been taken care of for quite awhile. We'll have to prune it back and we're not going to get fruit this year. If we're lucky we might get some next year.

Nate (very matter-of-fact like):
But we are lucky dad!

Me:
Why do you say that Nate?

Nate:
Because we are.

He is correct, of course. We are lucky. Sometimes it's easy to forget that. I just think it's neat that he might actually get it, even at 3.

4 comments:

joie said...

sign #593 that you are raising a genius, congratulations :)

good thing he has such a huge head for all that smartness...

Justin said...

I'm starting to wonder if the genius is the one who is raising me!

joie said...

touche, perhaps that is the true reason to have kids around...

Justin said...

Maybe,...they sure do make life interesting, the way they see stuff around them.