Friday 13 February 2009. I worked my last shift at 3010 Main Street. It's been almost 4 years since I started my job with JJ Bean. What originally started as a short-term gig between jobs, turned into the second longest job I've ever held.
I've been trying to write about those 4 years for a few days now, but I'm failing miserably, so I'm just going to list some highlights.
- I started about 3 months after the store open. By the time I left, I was the only one left from the original crew.
- In the time I was there, I worked with five different managers.
- At the time there were 4 JJ Bean stores, now there are 7.
- We didn't have a son when I started, Nate is almost 3 now.
- I learned new things about myself, like I'm a much more social person than I ever thought I was.
- For most of the time I worked there, I was the oldest person on staff.
- I met so many people, and some of those people have become good friends.
- Working in the neighbourhood I live in, has connected me to this neighbourhood and made me feel part of a larger community.
- I got to work with some amazing people. In many ways they are like family to me, and I will miss them terribly when we move.
When it finally came time to leave, I found I didn't want to at all.
My thanks to all the people who made this the best job I have ever had.