Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Good dog

When Nate woke up this morning, he called me into his room and told me his tummy didn't feel like it normally did when he woke up.  Then he threw up.  That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day.  He got me to make up a bed for him on the sofa, and spent pretty much all day there.

At some point during the day, Snoopy abandoned his favourite spot on the back of the other sofa by the picture window and curled up with Nate.  I think it was his way of making Nate feel better.  Nate said that Snoopy was taking care of him.  It reminded me of when Nate first came home and became the newest member of our pack.

We were living in Vancouver then, and Snoopy had been number-one-son for over a year and a half.  We were of course concerned about how he would react to the new addition.  Would he feel threatened and perceive Nate as competition or worse a snack?  We needn't have worried.  Snoopy took to him right away, and made it his job to look after Nate.  

He would wake me in the middle of the night when Nate was crying and we were slow to respond.  He would come into Nate's room with me, and if I was having a hard time settling him back to bed, Snoopy would run back to our room to rouse Patty.  It was almost like he was saying 'that guy hasn't got a clue what he's doing, you better go give him a hand'.

Whenever I took Snoopy out for a walk, the first thing he did when we got home was to check on Nate. He would run over to the bassinet and peek over the top,  and if Nate was not in there Snoopy would run upstairs and check the crib.  He would not do anything else until he had found Nate.  

When Nate was old enough to start walking around the dog park, Snoopy was his constant shadow.  He was never far from Nate, not even when there were other dogs to play with.  He watched over Nate.

Snoopy, sticking close to an under-the-weather Nate.

I'd always meant to write a post about how great Snoopy was when we first brought Nate home, and maybe I have already?  I forget.  But watching Snoopy today brought back all those memories, and when I snapped the picture above, I already knew what I was going to do with it.


Good dog Snoopy.  Good dog.

No comments: