Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This, is my life

Getting Nate to do anything these days is like pulling teeth, wringing blood from stone, bashing your head against a brick wall...you get the picture. He's full of excuses, he talks back, he yells, he screams, he throws things, he hits. There have been quite a few time-outs lately.

Just this morning, he drew a time-out for not listening and bugging Patty while she was trying to work. Not an hour later, I asked him to go pee, and he refused. He didn't want to, he would go later, he didn't have to. I asked him again, and told him he could go pee or go to his room. He started yelling, and I put him in his room. More yelling and eventually silence. I usually give him some time to cool off, and he generally comes around and comes out all smiles. Five minutes and still not a peep, so I decide to go take a look. I find him sitting on his bed, reading a book, all smiles. Then I see the dark spot around him on his sheet. The little devil peed in his bed!

Some days there's just no winning. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. It was 10am and I wanted a drink already. Such is my life these days.

3 comments:

joie said...

Oh brother, Justin! Kids are PhDs at button pushing. They just know exactly what to do or say to make your head explode. I've experienced this but never with my own child obviously and it is super trying...you are a patient lovely man and I'm going to have a whiskey sour tonight in honor of you and Pat. I can't wait to come over to your house and make one in your kitchen :)

Justin said...

Whiskey sour?! I forgot about those! Might have to start squeezing some lemons soon. Ah...that boy, he drive me nuts, but at the end of the day, when I'm tucking him into bed, he'll want me to tickle him...some times he'll want me to use my fingers, other times my hair. I don't know, there's something sweet about a kid who wants to be ticked!

joie said...

yep, i went to the cascade and it was good but not as great as you make 'em!

oh he asks to be tickled? what a singular boy! i was usually begging for the tickling to stop but then you end up creating tickle-haters and clearly you are in no danger of that with Nate being a tickle-lover, simply amazing! you are powerless in the face of all that, i completely understand, buddy :)