Monday, December 15, 2008

Snow day

We had our first real snowfall of the winter Saturday evening. It started to come down after 9pm, and by the time I got off work at 11.30pm, there was layer of white over everything. It made for a nice late night walk with Snoopy.

Sunday morning, and there was still snow on the ground. Not as much as I would have liked, but still enough to get Nate all excited. He wanted to go outside and play, and he wanted to make a snowman. As we left home, he suddenly said to me: "Hey! We need to go back home to get some treats for the snowman!". He'd remembered that we had used dog treats to make the eyes, nose and mouth of his snowman last winter!

It wasn't quite snowman building snow though. Much too dry and fluffy, but it did pack into good snowballs, and that's what we did. Nate had a great time making and throwing snowballs, and running around with the dogs in the park. 





As we were about to leave for home, he stopped me and said: "I want to bring a snowball home for my mama.". So he packed a snowball and carried it home for 5 blocks, all the while talking to it, and telling me how it was thirsty and we needed to get the snowball a drink of water when we got home. At one point, I pulled out his water bottle from my bag to give Nate a sip of water, and he promptly stuck the snowball to the spout after he had had a drink. It made people walking past laugh.

We were just a block from home when he dropped his snowball as he went to push the button for the pedestrian crossing. I'm not sure I have ever seen him look so sad as he stood over his fallen snowball, now covered in grit and sidewalk dirt. As I started to tell him we could make another, he burst into tears and sobbed as we hurried across the street. It took some convincing, but he finally accepted another snowball I made as passable, and carefully carried it the rest of the way home.

He was all smiles when he presented it to Patty.

"I got you a snowball mama!"

And that, is why we now have a snowball in our freezer.

No comments: