Friday, October 17, 2008

Thanksgiving on Main Street

I have much to be thankful for, I always have.  Sometimes it's easy to forget this.  Other times I struggle with the random nature of my good fortune.  I wasn't born into a third world country, or a war ravaged country.  I got a head start right off the bat.  I didn't choose to be born where I was, it just happened.  But who gets to makes those decisions?

This thanksgiving, my workplace decided to donate all our tips from the Thanksgiving weekend to some charities in Vancouver.  The money collected from all the JJ Bean stores in Vancouver would also be matched by JJ.  If any of our patrons needed reminding that they had lots to be thankful for, they didn't have far to look.

I guess even those of us who get a head start fall behind sometimes.  And who am I to say that this person hasn't lots to be thankful for?  I once asked a homeless person how his day was going, and he told me it was great.  He woke up that morning, and he was still breathing.  

Happy thanksgiving Canada.  We have much to be thankful for.

No comments: